Thursday, June 08, 2006

sunshine on a rainy day

makes my soul, makes my soul drip drip away..

Enough of the early 90s europop.

I am sitting in my back garden in the sunshine. Hurrah at last. It might get to the dizzy heights of 18 degC today, the pundits say. Better slap on the factor 40!! Tis Thursday and a holiday weekend looms. They celebrate the queen's birthday here - does the UK? I have been invited to someone's beach house in Bawley Point a couple of hours south of Sydney where there are long sweeping beaches with kanagaroos frolicking on them - that's if kangaroos frolick, maybe they gambol. Anyway it will be my first glimpst of kangaroos - alive anyway. Maybe I'll go hunting and then throw some on the barbie!! Only joking, they are kinda hard to kill without a 'ute' I would imagine.

Bawley Point is an area devoid of tourist trappings I am told. I am also going to a concert of bush songs and poetry on the saturday night in a nearby town. By choice! Please be aware that this is not the opposite of anti-Bush songs and poetry! The performance is by the most famous bush singer (?) in the land, so famous I don't know his name. Anyway, the songs and poems are based on stories heard on his travels around hicksville Australia. There may not even be a bar at the interval - now I really am immersing myself in a different culture!!

This week has been pretty tame so far I'm afraid to say, but I can tell you that both the Macquarie Uni and Sydney Uni gyms are abysmal compared to Edinburgh Uni - even before Edinburgh was refurbed - I guess I should never complain again. Macquaries is essentially a big shed with plywood panels to give the very faint impression of separate rooms. Women are not a common feature in either of them which is v v different from Edinburgh.

I am now working/volunteering every Wed morning at the Yoga in Daily Life ashram in my area. Think I'm becoming a volunteer junkie. I offered my services and they asked what I did for a living - when I said 'compooters' they rubbed their hands with glee and asked if I knew anything about databases. So now I will be replacing/augmenting my PHD procrastination skills with working out how the fuck Microsoft Access (doesn't) works.

Ohh, forecast is for 19 degC tomorrow - better go look out the SPF 50

Have a good weekend....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glimpst? is that the collective noun for a group of Kangaroos

June 15, 2006 10:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home