Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tuesday August 15

So far so good. Not had to patrol with the guy who will now be known as McAsshole.

Toook the chicken bus into MOnterrico yesterday to bid a fond farewell to JAred. Everyojne really got on with him and it's a real shame he was only here for 4 days. After he went for his bus, a few of us went for a beer at Jonny's hwere we quickly found out that no-one could stand McAsshole. Unfortunately that means that there is stiff competition to avoid patrolling with him, but at least it's menat that the rest of us have bonded well over our mutual irritation! Especially over the fact that he doens't eat any vegetables - and I mean ANY. Only potatoes and maybe onions - but only if they are finely chopped - WTF?!! There are quite a few vegetarians at the project and we take turns cooking. It's funny to watch him pushing anything that's not pasta or rice coloured around his plate in distaste!

No more turtles found so far except dead ones. The nights have been warm which tends to keep the turtles in the sea. Oh there was one live turtle found but she fell asleep mid-laying apparently - weird.

Went kayaking in the mangrove river this afternoon with Sam. That was so beautiful and peaceful, and a bit too sunny as I burnt myself a little. Sam is a wildlife photography student so she was hoping to get some great photos. Our inability ot keep the kayaks from crashing into our subjects kind of messed up our shots though!..........

....Just got back from night opatrol. I ahd an early shift tonight, 9pm-aapm. It's extremely hot and humid. There's a clear sky but no moon yet so it was very dark. Kept getting the crap scared out of me as I almost bumped into parlameros every 200m. Fireflies were cool though.

My feet are a mess with bites and burst blisters and nothing is getting the chance to heal. I even had to start wearing socks and sandals today - shock! HAven't looked in a mirror since I've been here so god know what state the rest of me is in.

McAsshole went to bed early tonight thank goodness. Amongst his many random and uninteresting stories he was telling about how he told his Spanish teacher that English is so much easier to learn than Spanish since it only has 3 tenses - past present and future - none of this perfect/imperfect nonsense that Spanish has. Yes I can hear you linguists gasp in shock!

I'm soaking wet with sweat and it's going to be long and steamy night - and not in a good way. Let's hope there's not a rat scurrying around immediately above my head on my top bunk like there was last night. Ysabel found 2 scoprions in her bed last night. Eeeeeeeeekkkk!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home